About ABNN - Alberta Nonprofit Network
The nonprofit sector ensures that Alberta has creative, diverse and prosperous communities.
It touches every Albertan’s life in some way.
The nonprofit/voluntary sector is a crucial part of Alberta’s community fabric.
With more than 25,000 active organizations, the sector is diverse, organized, self-governing, and continually evolving. The sector is comprised of a continuum of organizations that range from informal, volunteer-based with no formal resources to organizations with paid staff, abundant resources, and structured legal forms.
• The nonprofit/voluntary sector contributes $9.6 billion in revenues to the Alberta economy.**
• Albertans donated 262 million volunteer hours to the nonprofit sector in 2013*
• 50% of Albertans over the age of 15 volunteered in 2013*
• Albertans gave an average of 161 hours of their time to the nonprofit sector in 2013*
• Alberta's nonprofit/voluntary sector consists of over 25,205 charities and nonprofit organizations**
*From the General Social Survey of Giving, Volunteering and Participating, Statistics Canada
**From Alberta Culture & Tourism